Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pound the Pavement for Parenthood-We got an interview!

Back in the day when we first begin seeking medical assistant to have a baby I started researching infertility, treatments, cost, etc. To say I went on a Google binge is an understatement. Well like most people who go crazy researching medical avenues I became overwhelmed with the potential expenses that we could face. Thousands and thousands of dollars! Because I dove into understanding our insurance policy and potential secondary insurance policies I knew that our insurance coverage wasn't going to be helpful in any direction we went. From there I started a quest to find organizations that help with the cost of fertility treatments. There are a few out there but not many. I'm not surprised really. Fertility is such a personal and sacred thing that comes with some much emotion that people do not talk about it yet alone have medical assistance programs. That's a rant for another day...anyways that's when I started think about how our trial of infertility may be for a bigger purpose outside of us. I started thinking of ways that we could raise the money we need but something that could help others as well. The organizations I had found I didn't connect with. I'm not sure why but it didn't jive. I knew of an elder that served in Matt's hometown that struggled with infertility and I started following his wife's blog. She shared her experience and they now have beautiful twin boys that came to them through the means of IVF. They couldn't afford it either but were blessed to participate in a small, local organization called Pound the Pavement for Parenthood (PPP). PPP plans and hosts 5K races where they sponsor couples trying to pay for fertility treatments. All the money from registration fees they give to the couples that are sponsored. It's an amazing program and as soon as I read about it I knew I had to get involved. At the time we weren't even sure we need help funding our treatments because we were in just the beginning stages. We just got involved because of how drawn to it we were and we wanted to help others in any way we could. We helped with publicity, donating items to a silent auction, and making signs for the day. Nothing huge and we didn't think much of it. Well, here we are over 6 months later and PPP opened their application for sponsorship. Because we know we'll need to do IVF to put a baby in my belly we decided to submit an application just to see. We might as well do everything we can right? We put it in hoping for the best but not expecting much. However, we received the better! We were selected for an interview! Our interview is tomorrow and we're so excited! 1) I'm excited to spend time with these wonderful women that have done so much for others and hear their stories. 
2) We having an interview!!!! That puts us so much closer to our dream than we ever imagined!

No comments:

Post a Comment