Friday, August 10, 2012

There's always someone in the same boat

Last night I was able to get together with some old friends. Mind you these ladies are some of the GREATEST people in the world. I love them. We've known each other since we were young and every year we get together for dinner and hours of catching up. We pick up right where we left off. We talk, we laugh, sometimes we cry. They're those people you'll always love even if you aren't able to see them often.

This year has been rocky for each of us. All in different ways, for the most part that is.

As we were catching up I noticed that one friend was wearing a necklace similar to one my husband recently bought me. When the others in our company went to the bathroom I asked her what was going on. She told me about how they've been trying to have another baby for about a year and half, she's done Clomid, had 2 failed IUI's, is getting ready to try IUI 2 more times, and if that doesn't work they'll do IVF. If IVF fails then they are done. I'm not sure if they'll look into adoption or not...people only go to the bathroom for so long...so our conversation was cut short.

I don't blame her for not bringing anything up when we were all talking. For heaven sakes I didn't say anything either. When harassed about not having babies yet I gave my standard.."One day...one day..." or "Hahaha! We'll see ladies!" or "When the time is right we'll have a little one." type of responses. I'm such a wuss. I know it's bad to assume people don't understand but most of the time they don't. They just feel bad for you. Or tell you "When it's time it'll happen." or "Don't worry everything will work out.". I don't want to hear that stuff. I know they just try to be nice and offer compassion but I already know those things. I don't want anyone feeling bad for me. Support? Yes. Sympathy? No. Don't ask me the difference either. I don't know how to explain it.

Anyways, bad things happen to people. Out of 4 friends 2 are infertile, 1 had to deliver her dead baby, and the other has to haul her 2 babies under 2 across the country multiple times a year. Life is hard. That's just how it goes. But nonetheless my heart hurts for each of them. In different ways.

In the words of dead baby friend, "We're all stronger than we think. When the hard things come we get through it. You never know how much you can handle until you're doing it."

To my infertile friend, I love you and you're in our prayers. We know what you're family is experiencing and it's hard.

PS-The other 2 friends in my prayers too...

1 comment:

  1. You are in my prayers! You are stronger than you think!

    ReplyDelete