Friday, April 5, 2013

We've come out of the infertility closet.

What a day! Pound the Pavement for Parenthood officially announced their races and the couples they're sponsoring. We were so excited! So many people are sharing the post and we're thrilled to have so much support. We can't wait for the meetings we'll have to nail down the details and really get things going. Thank you to all those that are sharing the post on their walls and with their friends!

On another note...tonight we went out to dinner with some old friends for work (my job is awesome for that reason. I get to help bring alumni back and get them involved in all sorts of things.) and one that I haven't seen for quite some time asked Matt and I if there would be kids on the way anytime soon. Now normally our response is "We'll have to see." or "That's a good question...." followed by a change in the subject. These types of response have come like a reflex in the past but this time it took me off guard because its not a secret any more.
I felt my face turn red because several of those that were there are familiar with our situation and we're waiting to see what we'd say. It was the first time I could be completely honest with someone I'm not close to. It was weird. It took me by surprise because it was so different from what I've been used to for the last 3 years. We told them, briefly of course, our situation and they offered their condolences along with stories of those they know that have done private adoptions or foster care. They asked us to keep them in the loop if there was anything they could do and we carried on with our meal, conversations about T-Mobile, UVU, root beer, and marriage. I hadn't thought about what it would be like to share our story in one of these situations. It was different but not nearly as bad as I thought it could be.

Here's to sharing our story! It's liberating!

1 comment: