Saturday, April 27, 2013

4 Little Miracles


The Larson's hold a special place in my heart. Courtney and I became friends in college and without knowing then we shared something very sacred in common. When we began really trying to figure out what was going on Courtney announced their miracle babies. I put myself out there and sent her a message on Facebook. I made a bold assumption and asked if her babies came "naturally". This sounds strange and almost horrible but I hoped that they weren't. I needed a friend. I needed someone that understood my heartache. Courtney was so open with their situation and built my faith. I was able to ask questions, share my feelings, and she knew what I was experiencing. The Larson family has given us hope, support, and love. We pray for their miracle babies everyday and are so grateful that they were willing to share their story.
***********************************
I tried my best to keep myself from crying as our fertility Dr. explained to my husband and I that I had PCOS. I had never even heard of PCOS before and was shocked to find out that having kids was not going to be easy. I left that appointment feeling overwhelmed and defeated. I was already so tired of people asking why Cameron and I didn’t have kids yet. It is amazing how often that question gets asked as soon as you get married. For someone that is struggling with infertility it is a dagger in the heart.
I was disappointed in myself all the time. I was upset that my body was failing at getting pregnant. I was mad at myself for not being as excited as I should be about family and friends getting pregnant. I was embarrassed that this was happening to me. I was blessed with the most amazing husband who lifted me up during the really hard times.
We underwent three rounds of IUI before we were successful. Our first round we tried Clomid and my body did not respond. The next two rounds we tried the Follistim shots. After my first two rounds I developed cysts and had to wait a few months before we could try again. Each round I was monitored very closely and went in twice a week to check egg growth. We never saw four eggs.
We showed up to our first ultrasound so excited. Our dream of being parents was finally coming true. After taking a few moments to look around our Dr. turned to my husband and told him to sit down and stay seated. She turned the screen so we could see and showed us our four babies. The following week I would be driving home from work and start laughing and then immediately start crying. We were shocked. This was not supposed to happen.
I was put on strict bed rest at 19 weeks due to pre-term labor. At 21 weeks I was placed in the hospital for the remainder of my pregnancy. Four weeks later I delivered four beautiful babies. We became the proud parents of two boys and two girls. Our biggest baby was 1lb 15oz and our smallest was 1lb 5oz. Our babies spent between 121-137 days in the Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, NY. They are our miracle babies. March 11, 2013 we celebrated their first birthday and we have never been prouder.
No one should have to endure infertility. For those that are getting that heartbreaking news, I am so sorry. Even though it feels like it, you are not alone. If you have any questions, feel free to ask (courtneywelchlarson@facebook.com). We are very open and willing to help anyone who is having trouble trying to get pregnant.
-Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment